Friday 13 January 2017

Jan 13th - 14th Part 1 Jaipur Kite Festival

So while my parents took a flight to stay with relatives in Mumbai, my independent trip commenced with a flight to Jaipur from where I took a long bus journey that dropped me very close to the pleasant hotel that I'd booked online.

The manager, Om, was really helpful in suggesting possible itineraries to get round the state of Rajasthan, which probably features more strongly on most tourists' list of places to visit as there are so many extraordinary places to go to. But the most delightful coincidence of being in Jaipur was that it happily coincided with the annual kite festival, which is a major event for the city and attracts people from all over the place. So while the kite festival itself commenced the next day, it gave me the chance to visit the vast markets at Ajmeri Gate, which is actually a conglomerate of markets that conjoin into one. There is a narrow network of alleyways with market stalls selling everything under the sun, with the kite salesmen doing a roaring trade.


Preparing string for kites


Shops festooned with kites

Kite vendors of Jaipur


No comments:

Post a Comment